Monday, January 11, 2010

Dragonhounds

Generally after reading a book about dragons, I have dragons on the brain for a good while. I had just finished a chapter in one of my dragon books (Throne of Jade) and thus had dragons on the mind. I was with my dog and recalled that he was named for a dragon (Falcore from Never Ending Story) and this idea popped into my head. If I don't write it somewhere it will leave me, and I might as well put it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keith followed his guide into the rebels camp, noting how disastrously organized it was. If this place was attacked, even by a small force, it would be decimated, and the fact that he had found it so easily suggested that Lord Graslin probably knew of this place and was biding his time, letting the rebels hope before he tore them to pieces. Hopefully he would be able to change the circumstances here before it was too late.

There was some barking up ahead and a few enormous dogs started running for Keith's guide. Keith had never seen dogs of such size before, and as they got nearer he began to doubt that they were dogs at all.

"Falcore, Tempest!" Keith's guide shouted as the beasts neared.

Keith had no idea what to think of these beasts. They had the shape of dogs, yet instead of fur, they had scales. Their eyes were not reptile eyes however, and looked like dog eyes. There were stubs on their shoulders that looked as if they might have once been wings. Their tails wagged like a dogs and they barked like dogs, but they were definitely not dogs!

"What...?" was all Keith managed to say.

"What's the matter? You've never seen a dragonhound before? That's not surprising, they're a rare breed," Keith's guide said.

Dragon...hounds?" Keith asked. This revelation only brought more questions.

"Yep, you see a few decades or so ago, there was a wizard who knew that his dogs were nearing the end of their lives. His dogs were his only companions, so in order to elongate their lives, he magically infused them with dragon blood. This definitely made them live longer, and had a few side effects that he wasn't expecting. We have that with a few more years of proper breeding that we can make those stubs on their backs become full wings, wouldn't that be something?"

"Its definitely something alright," Keith agreed, unable to look away from the dragonhounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps I am a bit too obsessed with dragons?

I'm not sure what I'll do with this. I already am writing to many things at the moment, so perhaps this will stay in the archives until I can finish a few of them. Who knows. Also, it already sounds incredibly cliche, what with the rebellion, and the evil lord who knows where they are but is confident enough in his awesome to let them think they have a chance (ultimately leading to his demise). So if I do ever make something more of this, I'll have to work to make it any good. But this is true for any story.

1 comment:

Paige said...

I like them. It's very cool.

As for the dark lord being led to his demise. Why don't you just have a rebel cast an illusion spell or something making it so only those of pure intent could find the camp? That way the "dark lord" can't find it even if it is nearby.