Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Narrative Poem "The Park Bench"

We needed to write a Narrative Poem in my creative writing class (this happened forever ago, but NaNoWriMo distracted me. I won, by the way, I'll post about that later). I sat and stared at my computer screen forever before this poem happened. I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is a revised version, before it had a happier ending, now its kind of sad, spoiler alert. If you don't want a sad ending, look away now. If you love that kind of stuff like I seem to, then onward brave soul!

The Park Bench


I sat alone one day
on a park bench
lazing my time away.

I was gazing at the clouds,
making shapes in them,
as I once did, so long ago.

That was when she sat down.
“That one is a dragon.”
She was right, it was.

She smiled at me,
I smiled back.
And that made her smile all the more.

It became a daily thing,
sitting at that park bench,
sitting with her.

It wasn’t time wasted,
but time preciously spent.
I loved her, after all.

Then one day,
she didn’t show up,
to sit at our bench.

I called her,
no answer.
I couldn’t find her.

Two weeks without a word.
She must not have loved me.
My heart became a cynic.

I avoided the bench,
I avoided that park,
I wanted answers that never came.


I should move on with my life,
I kept telling myself.
But I kept the bitterness inside.

‘Til one day
my phone rang,
and her voice on the other side.

But my heart was hard,
I lashed out in anger.
I cried out in pain.

I tried to hurt her,
as much as she hurt me.
I succeeded.

I later learned that
she had been in car accident.
She was in a coma.

She had woken up alone,
and sought me out for comfort,
I only gave her more pain.

I don’t sit on park benches,
not anymore.
Never again.

No comments: