Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Books Read in 2010: Three of 'em

I tend to forget to update this list when I finish a book. There are three to add and I'm hoping that I'm not forgetting any. Its hard to keep track sometimes when trying to read six books at once. I have been unable to find the sequels to Howl's Moving Castle, so these books won't be those.

Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star

The Sequel to Fablehaven, the Rise of the Evening Star continues the story of Kendra and Seth and their adventures at Fablehaven. The Society of the Evening Star (the bad guys) are causing all sorts of trouble at Fablehaven, having found their way into the preserve. Frog demons and Revenant zombies are only the most noticeable problems that Kendra and Seth must deal with, as Fablehaven goes under attack by the society.

Its actually been a while since I finished this, and I am well into the third book now, which had me confused as to which events happened in which book. I think I've got it all sorted out in my head though. Also, this book was very lacking in dragons.

A very good sequel to a very good book. It had a cliffhanger ending of sorts, and I was very glad that I could immediately start the next book. Definitely check out the Fablehaven books.

The First King of Shannara

I think I spelled that right. I've actually had this book for years and actually got about halfway through it, and stopped for whatever reason. That was a bad idea. I loved this book.

Set as a prequel to The Sword of Shannara, the First King takes place nearly 400 years (I think) before the events of The Sword. We follow the Druid Bremen and his friends as they desperately scramble to stop the Warlock Lord from overrunning the world. The Warlock Lord is a very real threat that has gone almost undetected because all of the races have secluded themselves, thus allowing him to gain immeasurable power, almost undetected. The only one who knows about him is Bremen, and he must do all he can to convince the world of this threat before it is too late.

So this book is awesome and very suspenseful. Bremen's task seems completely hopeless and it is fun to watch him slowly succeed, even though things don't go how he would have liked them to. Unfortunately, this book also lacked dragons, but it made up that by being awesome all by itself.

Inkheart

This is a book about people who really like books. Yay #1. Every chapter starts with a heading that is an excerpt from another classic book. Yay#2. One of the characters can read characters out of books and does so with a few classic books. Yay#3. Yes I liked this book a lot.

Meggie loves books. She got this love of books from her father, who fixes books for his job. Their house is filled with piles and piles of books with almost not enough room for them all. Meggie's peaceful life is shattered as an old acquaintance, calling himself Dustfinger, shows up on their doorstep. Meggie's father, Mo, in order to protect Meggie from their past, tries to run from it, but it catches up to them quickly. The evil Capricorn has found Mo at last, and he doesn't intend to let him slip away this time.

This book also didn't have any dragons (three is a row?!) but that was okay because of the Yays mentioned above, and the general awesomeness the this book is saturated in. There is good potential for dragons though, since the author of the book has written about dragons in the past and there are two more books in the series. One can hope.

If you like books, you should read this. This book was written for people who like books (a lot of books are, but this one especially). I must now get my hands on the sequels.

List:
The Demon's Lexicon
Fablehaven
The Third Sign
Throne of Jade
The Lighting Thief
Howl's Moving Castle
Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star
The First King of Shannara
Inkheart

I still haven't written that much, but there is something that I want to write that I might post here if I get around to it.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Read the rest of the Shannara books! They are awesome. Also, you might like the Wheel of Time and The Malazan series (starts with Gardens of the Moon). The Malazan series has dragons. The Wheel of Time has draconic parallel stuffs.

Anyway, the Wishsong of Shannara is my favorite Shannara book.

Inkheart is awesome isn't it?

Awesome LaTerry said...

I have read the rest of the Shannara books, I just didn't finish this one until recently for whatever reason. After finishing it, I started them up again. I am also currently reading the second book in the Wheel of Time. If the Malazan series has dragons then I shall seek it out!

Paige said...

Yay! You're reading the Wheel of Time!!!! The third book is one of my favorites!!!

Yes seek it out!