Thursday, October 14, 2010

Books Read in 2010: Dhampir Keep

Two more books to add to my list which isn't as big as I want it to be. I need to get on this.

Far World: Water Keep

For World tells the story of Markus and Kyja, who come from Earth and Far World respectively. Far World is a magical place that is full of talking animals and all sorts of other magical things like wizards and terrible monsters. Kyja is a girl without magic in a world where everyone has magic and Markus is a talented crippled child with some interesting abilities. The Dark Circle is after them both for reasons unknown to them and they end up running from them together. They eventually decide to go to a place called Water Keep to ask for help against the Dark Circle.

This was a fun book, easy to read, and an interesting adventure. There was a creature in it that could pass for an ice dragon (but wasn't) so that made me happy. My only real complaint with this book was that the chapters were so incredibly short. I read a chapter and then go to the next book when I read multiple books at once, and that means I would only read one page of this book before moving on, and that was annoying. The largest chapter was probably only five pages, most being only one or two. Other than that it was a good book and I can recommend picking it up.

Dhampir:

Remember the post where I poked fun at Twilight? This is the book that inspired that post. This is a book about vampires that are actually vampires! They kill things, drink blood, make undead servants, and are generally bad guys. The main character is Magiere, who hunts vampires for a living, at least, that's what she wants you to believe. She has a half-elf partner, Leesil who helps her "hunt" vamps. She is, however, tired of tricking villagers, and wants to lead an honest life, and so heads to a coast town to buy a bar. Little does she know that real vampires are waiting there for her.

This is an awesome book. I loved it. I also hated the covers. Not for the artwork, which was really cool, but because they spoil one of the biggest plot twists in the book. This plot twist is something you don't learn in the book until more than halfway in, though you will have suspected it, you don't learn the truth until then. But the cover just comes out and tells you. That pissed me off. I knew what was coming the whole time and I didn't get to be surprised by or go "I KNEW IT!" to the big reveal. So if you read this book, don't look at the front cover at all, nor should you read the synopsis on the back if you don't want to be spoiled. Let someone tape over the spoilers for you or something.

And yes, you really should read this book.

List:
The Demon's Lexicon
Fablehaven
The Third Sign
Throne of Jade
The Lighting Thief
Howl's Moving Castle
Sea of Monsters
Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star
The First King of Shannara
Inkheart
The Great Hunt
FableHaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague
Far World: Water Keep
Dhampir

No comments: