Friday, October 29, 2010

Just About Two More Days

NaNoWriMo is nearly upon us! I am super excited and quite scared actually. This is the least prepared I've ever been for a NaNo. Even in the first year when i didn't do any paper planning (I didn't jot down any notes) I still knew more about that story than I know about this one! Last year I had a similar scare in that a few weeks before it started I didn't know what to write, but once I found out what I was to write, I made pages and pages of notes. This year I have a concept, some dragons (always important), and maybe the first chapter vaguely outlined in my head.

Now I blame my general unpreparedness on everything that's been happening in the past month, a month I usually reserve for NaNo preparing. Foreclosure is my new least favorite word. Its gotten me down in the dumps, a mind frame that I am generally unfamiliar with. Then, to add to that, I've been all sorts of sick this week, and sometimes being sick gives me a great excuse to stay up and write ("Why aren't you sleeping?" "I can't sleep, I'm sick!") this time we've also been moving all of our stuff out while I've been sick. And this is probably only half of whats been on my mind! Needless to say, my NaNo Novel has been taking a back seat in a month where it is supposed to be driving.

Okay, that's enough crying. I usually get the pre-NaNo jitters. Two years ago it was the "omigosh I've never done this before am I crazy?!" jitters. Last year it was the "My plot is paper thin and I don't have nearly enough in it to fill up 50,000 words, I'm going to fail so bad!" jitters. This year its the "Oh crap, I haven't planned my Novel nearly enough! What am I going to do?" jitters.

I haven't had as much time to plan this novel as I might want. This is bad, but not word count threatening. I have proven in times past that I can fly by the seat of my pants, and often doing stuff like that adds great bonuses to my word count. So take that jitters! I strike you down with my sword of confidence and past experience! BWA HA HA!

I feel better now.

No comments: