Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sonnet

Sonnets are hard. Some people really like writing with the "structure" (aka shackles) that a sonnet provides. I. Do. Not. Each line must be 10 syllables written in iambic pentameter. It can only be 14 lines and has a very specific rhyming scheme. This was hard, and I cannot even figure out pentameter, so I gave up trying to do something like that. So then, here is my sonnet.

Dream Flight
The campfire roars as its sparks soar high.
The storyteller, a tale will now tell.
My imagination runs and I fly;
I soar through the air, I’m under a spell.
I sprout silver wings and shoot for the moon,
up so high, I never want to come down.
I see ruins ahead, I’ll be there soon,
 it’s filled with treasure that I’ll make my own.
In my haste to collect, I miss the signs,
this trove is guarded by a beast most foul.
One look and a shiver passed down my spine,
“Face me, ye unsightly brute” I did growl.
Awkward silence ‘til I heard a cough sound,
to my dismay, I had said that out loud.

No comments: